Tuesday, December 1, 2009

A recent infatuation

The art nouveau movement! The colors, lines, Romantic characteristic, ... *sigh* it all makes me smile quite a lot. This picture is an illustration from the era. It was in a printing of Arabian Nights. The artist is Virginia Frances Sterrett.



I became interested in the art movement after seeing a few advertisement posters from the era and finding the to be really beautiful. This picture of the Sea Nymphs is by far my favorite, also by Sterrett. I adore the colors.
I've been thinging about getting a print made of this picture, but I have no idea where I would put it in the apartment.
School thing: I have to write a counter factual history paper and I've already picked my topic ...Wanna hear it? Of course you do!
I'm going to write about what would have happened if Henry VIII had a couple of sons with his first wife, Catherine of Aragon.
According to my general knowledge of English history and some guesswork, if old Henry had surviving sons with his first wife he wouldn't have remarried, have seperated from the Catholic Church, started The Church of England, cut off his ties with Rome or become the father of a certain Queen Elizabeth I. Shazam!! I think I can write seven pages on that.
Ta ta,
Claire.

3 comments:

  1. wow - lots of interesting images - these two are terrific !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure reminds me of Edmund Dulac.
    http://dulac.artpassions.net/

    ReplyDelete
  3. These pictures are really pretty:)

    ReplyDelete